Friday, August 22, 2008

Skeletons in The Family Tree

Well I am late again. I can tell you one thing for sure, I am
getting OLD, lol. My daughters daycare has been shut down due to
ill health for 2 weeks now, so AMA has been going down and keeping
that little ball of energy, Daleigh, my 13 month old grandaughter and mercy
I have found out that I am getting way too old to be crawling
around in the floor. Ah well AMA will survive, I hope!

Well I thought I would talk a bit about being a family history
killer, lol. Oh Yeah, I have killed more family history than you
can imagine. You know those family stories you have been told all
of your life that were the absolute truth!. Well, I have a
tendency to kill those sometimes, lol. It is the unearthing of
family skeletons!

Oh, now mind you my family has many, many skeletons! But, you dust
them off and they all look the same, one thing about it, my family
history makes for very good reading! Kind of like one of those
Peyton Place stories or a good mystery novel. They could make a
show about my family and it would be one of those well what is
happening next, it can't get worse can it, type stories.

So what do you do if you have killed a family story that has been
passed down through generations? Do you tell the truth or do you
continue to write the fictional story in your books?

I do both, I write what has been passed on through the generations
and then I chop it up and demolish it with documentation and my
reasonings for knowing the story could not be true. Then of course
the older generations may never talk to me again, lol.

But most everyone has some sort of skeleton, some may be just a
minor one, such as marrying when they were very young and lying
about their age, or someone not mentioning that they were married
before. Then you have those that had an ancestor or someone in the family
that was a chicken thief, or horse thief. Someone that deserted
the military, or someone that shot and murdered someone.
Did you have an outlaw? My Great Grandfather was put in jail for stealing
fence posts, lol, they were old ones and he wanted to use them for
firewood, but alas so did the man that replaced the posts with new
ones.
Let me know about some of your family stories! I love to hear them!

Here is a mini kit for you from DD's Designs at DIP. I would like to thank them for giving me the kit for you today, remember it is for personal use.



Sorry link No Longer Available

Til next time!
Deb Sumner

5 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 23 Aug [LA 01:41am, NY 03:41am, UK 08:41am, OZ 06:41pm] ).

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
I have a maternal uncle who went to prison for bootlegging moonshine. My dad helped his dad make moonshine when he was younger. I did a history paper on my dad for a college class I took. Very interesting stuff!!

Cindy

Debbie S said...

Cindy don't you just love the old stories, skeletons and all, LOL.

Deb Sumner

Amy said...

Hi Deb,
My aunt (moms sister) refused to speak to me after I unearthed the truth behind my grandparents skeleton....never married...oops!
Mom never minded, but my aunt sure did - didn't want me spreading any of this in the family. It happened in 1908...couldn't see what difference it could make to any of us now, but she did. I love family history- I am totally addicted. Thanks for the kit.

Debbie S said...

Isn't it funny how the family wants to know things but when those skeletons pop up they sure do not want anyone else to know, lol.